Physical Description: The Rethil race is often viewed as being among the stranger of the Sentient races to inhabit Aengor due in large part to their physical features. Often being described as somewhat of a cross between a spider and a leaf, one of their most initially noticeable features is their dark, chitinous skin which covers most of their form. This skin is crisscrossed by numerous veiny protrusions that carry their strange purple blood throughout their body. Viewers will often next remark upon the number and variety of appendages sprouting from these creatures. Rethil feature a total of three sets of arm-like appendages. The rearmost of these ends in a jagged point, often used by Rethil in combat to gouge at their opponent's weak spots. The centermost of these is capped with a hand-like gripping appendage, that while useful for holding and grasping objects that may be needed, tends to be less dextrous and maneuverable than their foremost appendage, one that most other sentients would recognize as standard arm and hand. Viewers will also notice the frond-like fringe along the rear of the Rethil skull, and often traipsing down their back. These growths vary from Rethil to Rethil in size, shape, and colour, though tend towards shades of black, grey, and purple.
Society: To call Rethil society oppressive would be considered, by many, to be a massive understatement. One of the planet's oldest civilizations by their own records, their historians claim that their Empire has existed unbroken since the dawn of their race. The Rethil are often spoken of by other races regarding their strict hierarchy and their obsession regarding obedience and submission to Rethil of higher influence. The rare Rethil who do stray from the highly ordered strata of their society are vilified and sentenced to either death or exile, depending on their connections and influence. In this manner, Rethil tend to be lacking in individuality, as great displays of such uniqueness can be met with harsh punishment.
Relations: The Rethil are known for being aggressive expansionists and extremely territorial, leading them to constant conflict with those races unfortunate enough to border them. Fortunate for most other race however, the Rethil, as of now, are confined to a relatively small portion of the known world, meaning to much of the world, they are unheard of, let alone constant enemies. However, those poor unfortunates who found themselves unlucky enough to be bordering in the realm of proposed Rethil expansion must face the constant threat of this hostile race. By in large, this means the Maahes, as they share a long-lasting, conflict-filled history with the Rethil, as well as a long, constantly combative border. Humans native to the Ihone Continent also frequently must defend themselves from the Rethil's wrath.
Those few travelers and explorers from foreign lands who have unwittingly found themselves within Rethil Territory often return with tales of the terrifying spider-like creatures that inhabit them, though the key point here is that they return. The Rethil have little interest in harming those with whom they are not in conflict, and once it has been determined that the visitors are not Maahes spies or agents from another country with which they are in conflict, will let the visitors go, perhaps even trade with them some or send them back with messages to their overlords about arranging trade deals.
Rethil do tend to look unfavorably upon many races, but share a special hatred for the Maahes people. Of other races, their views vary. They tend to look upon humans as having potential, but being far too divided and indecisive to take what's theirs. They appreciate the dwarven tenets of honor, respect, and obedience, but tend to frown upon the fact that these people are content to hide in their holes and let the world pass them by. Elves and Gnomes they feel are far too flighty and passive to be worthy of interest, almost as despicable as the dreaded Maahes.
Alignment and Religion: Rethil are possibly the least diverse of the sentient races across the surface of Aengor. Most tend to lean very heavily towards Lawful Evil, due to their willingness to do whatever their dark god orders. The vast majority of Rethil worship the god that is their namesake, Rethil, and those rare few who don't face heavy punishments if they should be discovered.
Adventurers: Rethil adventurers are uncommon, as few leave their homeland except for the purpose of war. Those rare few who do are typically either agents of the Empire, journeying out to accomplish some mission; or, outcasts who have either fled or been banished due to behaviors deemed unacceptable by the Rethil Clergy. Of these two possible adventurers, the latter are somewhat more common and tend to lean somewhat away from LE, unlike the rest of their peers.
Random Starting Ages
|12 years||+1d3 years
(13 – 15 years)
(13 – 18 years)
(15 – 30 years)
Random Height and Weight
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4 ft. 10 in.||+2d10 in.
(5 ft – 6 ft. 6 in.)
|150 lbs.||+(2d10×5 lbs.)
(160 – 250 lbs.)
|Female||5 ft.||+2d10 in.
(5 ft. 2 in. – 6 ft. 8 in.)
|185 lbs.||+(2d10×5 lbs.)
(195 – 285 lbs.)
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Rethil are willowy and smart, but often lack individuality. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and –4 Charisma.
- Size: Rethil are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Base Speed: Rethil have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Climb: Rethil have a climb speed of 20 feet and gain +8 to Climb Checks.
- Languages: Rethil begin play speaking Rethilian. Learning a new Language costs twice as much for Rethil due to their inherent Xenophobia. Rethil with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Human Languages, Undercommon, and Infernal. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Defense Racial Traits
- Natural Armor: Rethil gain +2 to Natural Armor due to their chitinous skin.
- Fearless: Rethil are naturally fearless due to their unique upbringing. They gain +2 on all saving throws versus fear.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Stalker: Perception and Stealth are always class skills for Rethil.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Rethil can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Offense Racial Traits
- Natural Attacks: Rethil gain two natural, gore attacks (1d6 Piercing) due to the two rear, spiked limbs on their shoulders.
- Web Bolt (Sp): Once per day, Rethil characters may use cast Web-Bolt using their current Hit Dice as Caster Level.
- Prehensile Limbs: The centre-most of the three limbs on a Rethil's Shoulders, and the appendages on the center of their chest, while lacking in the dexterity and strength of their primary limbs, are used to assist in tasks, and while they cannot wield weapons with these limbs, they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Outcast: Some Rethil are either forcibly cast out or choose to abandon their families at an early age. These Rethil are forced to become experts in talking their way out of trouble, and once per day can roll any one social check with advantage. This trait replaces Fearless.
The following feats are available to a Rethil character who meets the prerequisites.